Current regulations state that all business premises in the UK and Ireland have a fire detection system. This is so that in event of a fire, staff, visitors and residents are alerted and can quickly vacate the building.
For most buildings, this means a fire alarm system.
If you have fire alarms on your premises, they must be tested and inspected by a ‘competent person’ to ensure that they work correctly.
British Standard 5839 advises that fire alarm systems are thoroughly tested every six months, but you should have your system tested more frequently if you are responsible for a large or high-risk building.
Servicing your fire alarm keeps your fire alarm in working order and also prevents the risk of false alarms. False alarms can lose businesses time and money, especially if the fire brigade charges for a call-out.
As the person responsible for fire safety, you could be liable for an unlimited fine or a two-year prison sentence if you do not follow regulations.
Why choose Hawkesworth for your fire alarm testing requirements?
Hawkesworth can help with your fire alarm testing and servicing requirements. Our skilled engineers will test your fire alarm system, providing you with a fire alarm report and logging results in your fire safety logbook.
- We are fully experienced and accredited: All of our assessors are experienced in fire alarm testing, many with decades of experience in the industry
- We provide the same exceptional service, no matter the size of your business: We have experience of supplying fire alarm testing to multi-site companies, through to the smallest sole traders
- We offer a free reminder service: Don’t worry about forgetting to get your fire alarm tested as we provide a courtesy reminder service
- We’re a one-stop shop for your businesses safety requirements: As well as fire alarm testing; we provide a range of services to keep your property safe. You will have a dedicated account manager who will ensure you stay compliant
- We provide expert advice, any time you need it: We keep all of our customers up to date with the latest industry developments, so you are fully informed at all times
Contact us today to find out about our fire alarm testing services
We have experience in carrying our fire alarm services across the UK and Ireland, helping your business stay compliant and most importantly… safe.
Frequently asked questions about fire alarm testing
What is a fire alarm?
A fire alarm detects smoke and heat in your building. When this happens, the alarm sounds and lights flash so that people can safely evacuate the premises.
Do I need to have a fire alarm in my building?
The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 advises that all workplaces should be “to the extent that is appropriate, be equipped with appropriate fire-fighting equipment and with fire detectors and alarms”.
These should be “subject to a suitable system of maintenance and be maintained in an efficient state, in efficient working order and in good repair.”
Some workplaces don’t necessarily need a fire detection system, for example, if the premises are small and staff could easily spot a fire.
How often do I need to test my alarm?
You need to test your alarm once a week and have a more thorough servicing carried out every six months.
If you are responsible for a large or high-risk building, we’d recommend that you have testing carried out every three months.
Who can test my alarm?
Weekly: A ‘competent person’ must test your fire alarm. This doesn’t have to be an engineer or electrician, but someone who knows the system – for example, the building manager or a fire warden.
Six-monthly: A six-monthly fire alarm service needs to be carried out by a specialist electrician or engineer.