Landlords and EICR testing - EIC vs EICR


Landlords and EICR testing - EIC vs EICR

Join us as we look at the difference between the Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) and Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR), and how this affects the changes in legislation for landlords.

EIC and EICR may sound similar, but they refer to two different types of report.

What is an EIC?

The Electrical Installation Certificate is a safety Certificate that is issued by a qualified electrician as confirmation that any new electrical installation complies with the BS 7671 (IEE Wiring Regulations). Examples of these are below:

  • A newly installed installation
  • When any new single circuit or multiple circuits are being added to any existing installation 
  • When there is any change of distribution board (consumer unit)

The certificate declares that the installation is safe to use, in line with the BS 7671 (IEE Wiring Regulations).

What is a DEIC?

An EIC may sometimes be referred to as a DEIC – Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate. The two are the same though.

What is EICR testing?

An EICR, or 'Electrical Installation Condition Report’ is a formal document that is produced following an assessment of the electrical installation within a property. It must be carried out by an experienced and qualified person.

This is a legal requirement for rental properties in England. From 1 April 2021, all properties must have a valid EICR in place.

All you need to know about EICR

A guide to EICR for landlords

Do I need an EICR if I have an EIC in place?

It depends on what the EIC is for.

If the EIC is for a full-house rewiring or a new build property, then you are exempt for five years after the date the EIC was issued. You need to provide a copy of this EIC to your tenant, as well as your local authority if they ask.

If the EIC only covers a part of the house (for example, if you had a new distribution board installed) then you would need to get an EICR report carried out for the rest of the property.

If you are a landlord looking for EICR testing or are unsure if your current EIC means you are exempt, contact Hawkesworth today.

We’ll be happy to help.

Next blog: A guide to fire risk assessments for landlords

Previous blog: What is a 'flick' and 'duration' test?